Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Time for some credit. I cannot do it without my colleagues!

Hello there!
How are you today? I hope you are well!



Today is the day that a pupil spontaneously told me he was very happy that I would probably be teaching him again after the summer break. This made me happier than this 13 year old can surmise!
Today is the day that a colleague took me to task about something I wrote. It made me reflect on colleagues in general and this one in particular. And I came to the conclusion that, as always, part of the problem was mine. Communication is a two-way street...

I started work at 17, and ever since my colleagues have played a huge part in my life. They've helped me through some very rough patches as well as have been the bane of my life in a couple of instances. On the whole, I have had nice ones and some really great ones. And I still keep in touch with quite a few of them, from way back as well as from recent jobs.

Not so very strange, when you realise that you spend 5 to 6 days a week, 8 hours a day with these people. In fact, I see more of my colleagues than of my husband!
But when you are the new duck on the farm, you have to try to find your little place in the pen, in the stable and near the feeder. And that grumpy old bull who seems so difficult to approach may turn out to be a big softie and that friendly seeming hen may be the one who pecks out your tail feathers while you sleep.
Finding all this out takes time.
And I am one of those silly women that has an inherent need for being in tune with her surroundings.
Being grown-up, I know that it's normal not to be friends with everyone around you. I secretly still would want to be though...How soppy can you get?

Now, what is the point of all of the above drivel?
That I am grateful  for the support of my colleagues. That I would like to support them in return. That I am convinced that a group of committed, honest colleagues can make or break (but I wish make) a company, or in my case, school.




No comments:

Post a Comment