Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Tuesday 9 June 2015

Haikus - Ancient Japanese Poetry Gone Modern


Dysfunctional mess


Sad brown eyes beseeching me

Do NOT judge me, please


If you follow me on Twitter (@ReneeRays) you'll know that I tend to post Haikus on all kinds of subjects.
Many of the poets I follow or whose tweets I come across do as well. Some stick to the ancient art form (nature).
But for me the challenge is to catch my thoughts and put them in a 5,7,5 scheme, making the haikus follow my thought patterns.

There is another poetry form from Japan, called Tanka. It has a similar rhyme scheme:
5,7,5,7,7.
So far I have not tried this, but today my gut tells me I should. So: can I bend my Haiku into a Tanka? Let's find out.

Dysfunctional mess


Sad brown eyes beseeching me


Do NOT judge me, please

I too have my pride, you see

and I will pretend I am strong
Hm.
That wasn't too hard.
Perhaps I'll switch to Tankas from time to time.




No comments:

Post a Comment