Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Sunday 1 December 2013

Photography Buffs take note!

Once in a while I'll use this space to let you get acquainted with the first steps of my children into the exciting but treacherous world of art and design.

Shrimpers

Not so far from my hometown there is a fishing community called Stellendam. It is on the island of Goeree-Overflakkee, and its inhabitants have made a living from the seas around their island for generations. They lived on, by, and in awe of the sea.

In this day and age, fishing has largely lost its appeal and economic value. But there are still some hardy types hanging on in Stellendam, and its shrimp industry is famous throughout the Netherlands and beyond. Due to the sandy sea bottom, the shrimp are tiny but delicious. Restaurants value them.

Shrimping
Shrimping is extremely hard work, 24/7 for days on end. I'll publish three photographs by Wibe Koopman which show how tough it is to live and work on a Goeree shrimper. And I'll let those images speak for themselves. After all, one picture tells a thousand words.  





Wibe Koopman Photography and Wibe at Wordpress

1 comment: