Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Sunday 6 April 2014

Juicing: Do You Take it Seriously?

Hi, everyone.
This is a post about cancer.
All my grandparents died of it, my step-Dad and Mother-in-Law died of it, my Mum has survived it 4 times so far, and the chance that I will develop it is 1 in 5, I am told.
Besides this not so very positive fact, I know so many people who either have had it, or are suffering from it, that you could say I 'already live with' cancer even though I do not have it myself.

It isn't the fact that I would get it and die from it (I mean...my entire life is geared towards dying  - it will end one way or another) that scares me, but the fact that most deaths from cancer are slow, painful, demeaning deaths. Far into my past I have taken care of dozens of people with cancer, right until their final breath and afterwards, so I certainly do know what I am talking about.

So, long story short, I read a lot about cancer and the various new developments around it. And one of the interesting viewpoints I have come across, is that a simple technique may (may!) help you prevent it, or even cure it.
I write this with great hesitation, for there are as many doctors who say this is rubbish as there are doctors who say this might be true. And I do not want to give anyone false hope!

Could it be so simple, though? It sounds too good to be true. But: and this is the great news, even if it IS rubbish, and doesn't prevent or cure cancer (or any other illness), as far as I've been able to ascertain it doesn't do you any harm either!

This simple technique is called juicing. 
And all it is, is putting raw (meaning mostly uncooked!) vegetables through a juicer, which separates the pulp from the juice. So not a blender or a kitchen machine, but a built-to-purpose juicer. And drinking this juice immediately, using the fresh energy.

Now, I have bought a juicer when I was pregnant with my daughter, 17 years ago. I was made enthusiastic by a friend and colleague of my husband, who juiced himself to the hilt. And man, this guy was fit!!! But, as such things go, after juicing for a few months, when my daughter was born I was so busy (she was a cry baby due to lactose allergy and I had my 4 year old son to take care of as well), the cleaning of the machine proved too much bother. So I moved it towards the back of the kitchen cupboard and forgot about it.

Until recently. It has yellowed a bit with age, but it works!
I have started juicing again, and contrary to 17 years ago I now use vegetables as well as fruit. And I add super foods, like hemp, wheatgrass, linseed, all kinds of berries etcetera. What I really would like to add as well is cannabis, but growing enough of it is a bit of a bother (I think 6 plants is the maximum allowed in my country, where you would need an acre if you would want to use some every day).
It's an adventure. Especially when I make 'the green stuff', as my daughter calls it. She is a wishy-washy eater (meaning she'd like to live on sweets, crisps, chips and fruit).

So. My question to you.
Do you juice?
And what is your favourite juice recipe???






No comments:

Post a Comment