Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Friday 10 July 2015

Mrs K goes Nautical!

When you are a follower of this blog, or if you have taken the time to read the introduction post, you'll know that I teach English.
This is my 10th year in this demanding profession, and the third year running that I'm facing an entirely new job.
First I moved from a small private secondary school in my hometown to work at huge inner city school in the harbour of Rotterdam, specializing in harbour related curriculum. 



Then I moved from this school to a smaller sister school in Den Briel, specializing in process industry and maintenance. And now I am going to work at yet another branch of the same huge school (whilst staying with my process guys as well); a small highly specialized  school in Stellendam on Goeree-Overflakkee catering for would-be fishermen and sailors.

(I first wrote seamen. Then looked at the word, and thought: blimey, that's too close to semen for my liking. So I changed it)




Joke! This was street theatre in the Belgian Ardennes, and most amusing it was.

What isn't comical at all, is that I am supposed to be teaching nautical English. Which is...shall we say...a challenge?
Imagine me, a self-confessed tree person, having to master marcom. "Mayday, mayday, mayday. This is two-one-one-two-three-nine-six-eight-zero motor vessel RenĂ©e call sign Delta Alpha Mike Kilo, position six two degrees one one decimal eight minutes North, zero zero seven degrees four four minutes East - I am on fire after explosion - I require fire fighting assistance - smoke not toxic - over"

Yeah.



I must admit I toyed with the idea of running away to a quiet, far, tree filled warm place, where I would end my days in peace, with a nice cold drink in my hand and not have to worry about if I could get my English lesson about - say - a diesel engine across.

But I would miss my family too much. And, let's admit it, I quite like a challenge. 
I'll be keeping you posted about my progress, shall I?




No comments:

Post a Comment