Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Saturday 19 September 2015

Music Makes My World Go Round (so here's a song of mine)

My life being in upheaval and turmoil at the moment, has made me turn to the two constants in my existence: writing (right?) and music (right!).

I don't know about you, but I can map my past 57 years exactly by listing music I listened to at the time. Certain songs bring back detailed memories of certain moments, often complete with smells.

Example? My first three years were dominated by Edith Piaf and Ella Fitzgerald. I sang "Non, je ne regrette rien" as easily as the Dutch equivalent of twinkle twinkle little star.
Another example? My pre-teens were dominated by The Beatles. First by the simple "She loves you - yeah yeah yeah" songs, and when I got a little older than 10 by the "She's so heavy" kind. That was before my massive crush on David Bowie, which lasted until my first major break up, which was accompanied by U2. The recuperation was helped by Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks and Melissa Etheridge, and so it goes on and on and on.

In the thralls of my latest break up, I have turned not only to existing music (Kate Bush is still helping out, but also Jodymoon, Selah Sue, Elbow, Jake Bugg and Muse lend a hand), but to writing and singing my own.
This is an exciting but daunting task. Is it good enough to subject other people to it? Now, there's a question for you...
One simply does not know, does one?
Only one thing for it: take the plunge.

So, it is with not a little trepidation that I'll present you with the gift of a link: Not Mine


No comments:

Post a Comment