Two Dutch Girls on a Road Trip to Wiltshire

Road Trip 2017 (2) - Richmond to Chawton to Salisbury.

Good afternoon! Would you like to join me for the second part of my road trip in the South-West of England? A long time wish of my daughter...

Thursday 22 May 2014

Veracity - the 6th "ity"

I've come to the sixth in this series of 18 thought up by the Swami. And it is a tough one, in more ways than one.



When you swear in a court of law, in most countries you say something like: " I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".
But do you in real life? How many times a day do you enhance a story just this tiny bit, so that it is a little more glamorous, or exciting, or believable, or palatable?

Veracity is a seldom used word in ordinary conversations.  I've yet to meet the person who says: "And what's the veracity of that?" 
If you look it up in Wikipedia (and I have) there is no page for it; you get directed to the page for honesty instead, and this is only a couple of paragraphs long.

One of the nicest quotes I could find about veracity is by Margaret Mitchell, the lauded writer of Gone With the Wind (does anyone still read this in 2014?):

"The liar was the hottest to defend his veracity, the coward his courage, the ill-bred his gentlemanliness, and the cad his honor" 

I suppose it translates best as 'truthfulness'. To others, but also to yourself.
Quite a feat, to be true to yourself. True to your beliefs and convictions. Far easier to let yourself be swayed and persuaded by others. It makes life less strained. 

Be true, truthful and tell the truth.
Far easier to lie convincingly when they ask you if you have seen the fish.


Today we Dutchmen had the chance to vote in the European elections. I wonder how many of my countrymen and countrywomen stayed true to their beliefs.




No comments:

Post a Comment